Saturday, June 30, 2012

Staying Clean is Tricky

June 30 - I've learned in the Gamblers Anonymous Program that the trick, for me, is not stopping gambling, but staying stopped and learning how not to start again.  God knows, I tried to stop plenty of times, by lecturing myself on how it was affecting not only my life, but all aspects of my behavior.  Gambling was actually changing who I seemed to be.  To stay stopped, I've had to develop a positive, ongoing program of action.  I've had to learn to live free from addiction, cultivating new patterns, new interest, and new attitudes.

Am I remaining flexible in my new life?  Am I exercising my freedom to abandon limited objectives?

Today I Pray - I pray that my new life will be filled with new patterns, new friends, new activities, new ways of looking at things.  I need God's help to overhaul my lifestyle to include all the newness it must hold.  I also need a few ideas of my own.  May my independence from compulsive gambling help me make my choices with an open mind and a clear, appraising eye.  

Today I Will Remember - Stopping is starting.

No comments:

Post a Comment